Tuesday, March 08, 2005



The Mind of a Shopaholic


Apparently some people (mostly males) have a hard time understanding the shopaholic psyche, so I am dedicating this blog to explaining the mind of a shopahoilc. Sure people like to joke about it but it truly is a real and serious disorder, also known as compulsive shopping disorder. I don't like to think of it as compulsive but simply a desire. A Dr. from an article in MSN Money says this of his shopaholic patients, "What the patients will typically describe is they have a baseline preoccupation with shopping, they're always thinking about it, and a tension builds and they have to satisfy that tension by going out and shopping. That relieves the tension, at least for the time being," he says.. I have to say I agree with this statement. If I do not go to a mall for a couple weeks there is a tension that builds up. I actually have an urge to get to the mall and shop. I will keep thinking about it until I get to the mall. I can sometimes control the urge by doing some surfing on the net and filling a shopping bag but not actually checking out. When I do get into a store I get overwhelmed with all the stuff I want and start loading up my cart. I often find myself having trouble deciding what color to get in a certain item so I buy it in several different colors. I also buy stuff that I don't really like or need simply because it is on sale and a good price. I have been trying to catch myself on this one and only buying it if I really love it and not because it is on sale for $1.99. Although I sometimes justify these purchases because they are less then a Big Mac or a Starbucks Coffee. Then I will buy a Big Mac and a Starbucks coffee on the way home. When I do see something I want it is near impossible to talk myself out of it and I start devising a plan to hide it from my husband when I get home. I convince myself that I cannot live without this item and it will complete my wardrobe, for a few days anyway. There is some guilt that sometimes seeps in but have learned to ignore it until after I have gone through the register, and then it is too late. The guilt however goes away quite quickly and I am soon yearning for another trip to the mall. When I know I have a shopping trip coming up I actually feel a joyous high. The closer I get to the mall the wider my smile gets. I get flush in the face and red in the cheeks when I come across a great sale rack. There is no better high then happening
upon the perfect sale at the prefect time. Once I go on a big spree it usually settles my shopping urge for a few weeks, but eventually I find myself with nothing to wear again. Having all this in writing is making it look way worse then it really is........that or there might be some denial happening here. In my defense I do buy allot of clothes, but I never ever buy anything over $10 and usually is around the $4.99 mark. So of course I get way more clothes then the person who spend $90 on one pair of jeans. I have complete outfits including shoes for less then $20. Ben says that would be fine if I found a deal and bought that one item. But because It is such a great deal I buy several. So I am spending the same money as the $90 jeans person but I am getting allot more. I could never find the $1.99 sale and just buy one. I think that is illegal anyway. So there you have it. I hope this helps you out Jeff. You may not understand the mind of a shopaholic but
that's okay, because I cannot fathom a person who does not like to shop. That is just crazy talk! I challenge you to take this test and see if you to are a shopaholic. http://www.yournewromance.com/shopaholicquiz.html Let me know your results. I am sure I am not the only one out there.

12 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

I am what your lil test calls window shopper. Apparently question seven has indicated that I would rather spend a saturday with my girlfriends or at home - shhhh don't tell Kelly. I read in complete amazment. You realize if you spend $90.00 on a coat or buy 14 shirts that equal $90.00 its still......(DRUM ROLL PLEASE)...$90.00! You buy an item in several different colors - that just blows my freakin mind. Oh goodness I'm going to need a drink and a couple valium after this blog. I do appreciate the explanation and do see where your coming from -and where that is please don't introduce Kel to it!

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I went shopping last night, it was awesome! I bought the best coat ever. It is a 3/4 length jean jacket with a brown fur collar and cuffs. The jacket is cut so well that it's slimming. It looks like something Sarah J. P. would wear. I got it for $39.95 and if I bought any more items, all items would be 30% off. So I bought jeans too and got both for $55.00!

I used to know a shopaholic. She would overflow her cart with items. Many items such as jeans would be duplicated because of the good deal. She would buy 5 jeans all the same and four tops, etc. Then the next day she would come back and return everything. It was really strange.

But I do know what you mean about putting items in your cart. I do that sometimes and then just put them back before I leave. It's a tension reliever.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Alyssa said...

Jeff- Window shopper eh? Not surprised. I don't think it would be too hard to get Kelly to join the shopaholic club, maybe I will work on her when she is here. Then when you think she looks hot in one shirt you can see how hot she looks in several different colors of that shirt.

Darlene- What a great find!!! I would love to have Sarah J. P. wardrobe (especially the shoes!) Shop on girl!! Did you take the test? I would be interested to know where you rate.

 
At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alyssa I took the test. It said I was a window shopper. Now you know me there can not be any truth to this test. Unless a window shopper means to go shopping ones every 5 years if you really have too. I Wander if there is a patch you could get to help reduce the erg to shop. Just think of all the other neat things you would be able to afford.
Dad

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

Kelly now you know where I get my bad spelling from. Thanks dad!

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Well I am happy to say I am not a shopaholic

Here is what mine said:

You've Been Bit By the Shopping Bug! You're constantly adding to your wardrobe - and it shows However, you can show some restraint. You love good deals.
Your love of the clearance rack has paid off... You probably have only maxed out card or two, if at all!

Pretty funny! I have to admit I was a much bigger shopper when I worked at the Gap - I can't remember the last time I bought myself something. Sad!

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now we have diagnosed the illness...what is the cure?...Shock therapy?... Medication?... Rehab clinic in South America? Someone help!
Ben

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Alyssa said...

dad- shopping once every 5 years, I think YOU need theoropy.

Kelly-You have been in a serious shopping droubt due to a tight purse string, but once those purse strings get loose again.....look out!!! Hopefully we can celebrate togeather!

Ben- haha! very funny! I think I should be able to have unlimited shopping since I can only shop for 4 months out of the year! Also I read an article on how many calories you burn shopping so It could double as my work out routine! Sounds like a win win to me!

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Alyssa said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben I think this calls for though love. Tear up the plastic cards!!!! Kelly when your putting down my daughter’s spelling you are actually putting down all of us undergraduates.

Dad

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

Comments weren't working for two days practically, so I just finally got back through! I took the test and I am a total shopoholic. I saw Lee shopping the other day.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Wow - your dad is tough! Just FYI I never graduated college and I can spell 100 times better than my husband who has his Masters!

 

Post a Comment


Thank you...

<<Home