Monday, March 07, 2005



Confessions of a Shopaholic.......


The shopping itch is settling in and it is coming on strong and hard. I had really convinced myself that I was getting better , but it turns out the only reason I had improved was because all the stores where carrying winter clothes and I, living in Hawaii, have had no use for them. Now the summer lines are in and my heart has skipped a beat. My pulse rate increases as I look at all the new shopping opportunities. I am like a contestant on the show Survivor who had to live on rice for three months and am now at an all you can eat buffet. I can't stuff it in fast enough,(into my shopping bag that is). I have been frequenting the mall like junk mail in a mail box, finding a new excuse to go every day. I guess it is to be expected...I mean I have NOTHING to wear, and hardly anything in my closet. Ok so that is not completely true, and the bar in my closet has actually broken twice this year because there are too many clothes in there, and I have kicked Ben out of my closet forcing him to hang his clothes in the playroom, but I have nothing new and exciting to wear. Ok that is a lie too, I have bought several new things as well, but you know the old saying (and my motto) you can NEVER have enough clothes. Unless maybe you had 365 outfits and you could wear one each day, then you might have too many, but you would only have to do laundry once a year. Now there is a thought. Maybe that should be my new goal! So last night after coming home from the mall for my third time this weekend, I warned Ben that the shopping fever has started and I cannot help myself. SO we discussed options and some budgeting ideas that might get me through my weak moments. First I offered to go back and work at the Gap 2 nights a week, and that would be my spending money. Then Ben pointed out that he makes 4 times what I make at the restaurant in one night. So logically I suggested that he work an extra night and devote it to my shopping fund (this being said with dollar signs in my eyes and sale prices on the brain!). Ben was not real keen on busting his butt at the restaurant so I can go hit the racks. Go figure. Guys are just so wierd. I mean does that not just scream motivation to you? Not to mention logic and I know guys like logic. I mean if he makes 4 times what I do in one night then that means he could work less but have more money. Sounds like the logical thing to me. I think we finally settled on putting me on an allowance (with no advances:() darn it I hate when he is on to me like that. So we sort of settled on $50 a week, but then I thought I could make $50 a week at Gap and then get 50% off all my clothes. I would get more bang for my buck that way. Or I could just take the $50 from him and not work at all. Let me know what you think, but only if you are on my side.

7 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Blogger Alyssa said...

I just took a shopaholic quiz and this is what it said:
You Are A Total Shopaholic!
You have a keen eye for spotting trends before they are hot
And sometimes your credit rating takes a beating as a result
Consider a job in retail to subsidize your gorgeous outfits
Over time, you could become a famous stylist or designer!

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

Of course I'm on your side, I'm a woman. $50.00/week is really good to maintain a nice wardrobe, but it will be tough if you need to revamp the whole thing. You need to get your hands on some fast cash, woman. When you figure out how, let me know.

Oh, and by the way, your allowance is about $47.00 per week higher than mine. :[

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

I'm sorry I haven't commented lately - my computer is so slow it's just about not worth it!

You crack me up - I swear my wardrobe is so LY it's not even funny - in fact it's like 3LY's! I would so get made fun of if I saw anyone I used to work with at the Gap.

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Kirk Wimberley said...

$50 per week?? $200 per month?? $2600 per year?!?! That's pretty good Alyssa. I wish I had that much money to blow. Just think of how many Playstation games I could buy...or even better...I would have enough for a Jeep payment that I've wanted my entire life! I wonder if Jenn would work 2 nights a week at the Gap so I can have my Jeep? HA! Just kidding Jenn! Well Alyssa, I'm sure you can guess my opinion! :-) (Hang in there Ben!)

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

Congrats, I had to read this three times to try and relate to what your saying. I have a masters in counseling and really no idea what makes a shopaholic tick! In your next blog you must explain how the adrenaline gets going or when. Fascinating!

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

Congrats, I had to read this three times to try and relate to what your saying. I have a masters in counseling and really no idea what makes a shopaholic tick! In your next blog you must explain how the adrenaline gets going or when. Fascinating!

 
At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lets see is that $50.00 per week for just you, what about the kids do they get a budget too.{ You know oh thats so cute but just too big for you now }so Ill have to wear it until ......

 

Post a Comment


Thank you...

<<Home