Tuesday, January 18, 2005



White Trash Wedding

I feel like I know you fellow bloggers so well now that I thought I would share a little story about myself. Well actually a story about myself and my "at the time" future husband. I am going to tell you the story about the night the love of my life proposed to me. Before I start lets do a little fast forwarding and rewinding. We will fast forward to 4 years past that proposal date and rewind 2 years from this date, which brings us to a time that I was out with all the women from our church small group. In this group we met ever second Sunday and usually went through a book chapter by chapter and had lengthy discussions. Some people talked more then others but that is besides the point. Some people also told extra information when certain spouses were absent, and those were the best chats of all. Now that I am totally side tracked lets get focused. So we have been meeting with this group of people for a few years and we decided that we were going to start doing girls night and guys night. The girls would all meet for dinner and the guys would usually do lunch. We did this a few times and it was a blast until the guys point out that on their time together they would always get into deep serious discussions and share their feelings, where the girls night conversations never left the area of breast feeding, potty training, who had the hardest and longest labor, and other real important stuff like that. So our group leader started to send his wife to our dinners with a question to discuss. Well this one dinner I remember well. It was Chinese Buffet, we had answered our "homework" question, and one of the ladies comes up with a question of her own. She thought it would be fun to go around the table and tell everyone how our husbands purposed. Yippee! What a great idea! I suggested we start on the side furthest away from me. So here we go from girl to girl all sharing there fondest memories of that special time. Each girl with the most romantic story I had ever heard. everyone is feeling all warm and fussy inside, except me. I am too busy fearing that as each girl shares her story we are getting closer and closer to ME. I am starting to sweat, my story is just not going to measure up. I begin to scan the restaurant for escape doors. Ok maybe I can throw myself on the floor and start convulsing and fake a seizure to divert attention when it is my turn. Maybe the real pregnant girl next to me will go into labor and I will not have to say anything. Come on pregnant girl keep tossing back those spicy little ribs! Maybe the one girl who always talks "alot" will take forever to tell her story and we will run out of time. None of those things happened and before I could come up with a more brilliant plan it was my turn. Here goes nothing! I decided to lay all the cards on the table right up front. No beating around the bush here. "Let me tell you about my white trash proposal" I say. Ben and I had been dating for a year and a half and had just gotten back together after a two week break up when I came to him with those three magical words "Honey I'm pregnant!" He replied with a "Well then little missy I guess I better make an honest woman outta ya!" So seeing as we were too poor to buy a ring we got the diamond out of my mothers old set and had it reset for me. (This hardly topped the story of the girl who went before me who's husband got their names written into the band with a big huge diamond to top it off, but I have lost all pride at this point anyway) After all I was admitting to this fine group of church women how I used to participate is sexual activity outside of wedlock. So the day came when the ring was set and ready for pickup. My boyfriend went in and got it and returned to the car where I was impatiently waiting. He starts to back up when I say "Arn't you going to give it to me?" He tells me that I have to wait for a proposal. Wait for a proposal, he already knocked me up, what does he want me to do next, jump through hoops? So I talk him into giving me the ring. He parks the car comes around to my door, opens it, gets on one knee, and says those five magical words, "honey will you marry me?" I say "Well let me think about it" just kidding! I say "yes!" right there by those two stinky dumpsters. The sent
of garbage has new meaning to me ever since that day. So there I was all red in
the face sharing my white trash proposal storey, badda boom badda bing 8 months
later and there there were three. We all had fun laughing it off (at my expense), and finished the evening with some dessert. Tune in Next time to hear the details from the white trash wedding. It involves a four month pregnant bride, beer cans smashed against our foreheads, and a bunch of people with missing teeth sitting in the front row. Wedding gifts such as the Budweiser wind chimes, and the precious moment where we drive off into the sunset in our rusty pickup truck with the rifle in the back window! Well the wedding was actually quite nice, seeing how it was all planned in a few months. The best news is, through all these happenings I found a Lord and Savior who encouraged me and loved me no matter what, and I gave my life to Him. The rest is happily ever after!


5 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

The best part about our group discussions in Sunday School, in men's groups or anywhere in a church or even social setting is..only a few are brave enough to tell the truth. The reason your blog is awesome to read is simply because you lay it out on the line. I bet a few of the ladies in the group were funny to watch as you told your story. I would even imagine...dare I say it.... some people actually messed around with the opposite sex before marriage! I say this not to poke fun at sin but to simply point out how people tend to focas on others and not themselves. I wish I had people smashing beer cans against their heads at our wedding!

 
At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At first, when Alyssa started being honest and telling the truth at church functions, my sirens went off and I was embarrassed and mortified. It turns out that its a blessing. It has somehow made me closer to God and to Alyssa. The truth is liberating...who knew. I love you for it Alyssa.
Ben

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Good gosh - I'm glad you live in Hawaii or I would think something was up with you and my husband! I have never heard him give someone so many compliments! That is very rare for him - he usually doesn't like the same girls I am friends with! This just proves we HAVE to come to visit and hang out! I will just have to keep an eye on you two! :)

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

Kelly
Yes you definatly do have to come hang loose with us in Hawaii! You definatly don't have to keep a close eye on your husband and I, my heart is already much to full with the love I have for my two Ben's. Ben Turner and Ben Affleck! But I can garentee that we will have a great time! I'll even teach you to surf! As soon as I learn that is.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Kirk Wimberley said...

Yes, we appreciate your honesty Alyssa, and there's no reason to be embarassed about your proposal...it is just as unique as anyone else's! It's not the method of proposal that counts, it's the love behind it! I'm jealous Trimbles. We've been discussing going to visit the Turners since late last summer, but I would prefer to take our girls since we'll probably be hanging out on the beach most of the time...but the airfare is almost $3,000!! Of course, with three deductions, I mean kids, our tax return softens the blow. I keep telling myself we need that money for a house whenever I finally get a job...argh! However, IF we end up going, I can guarantee you we won't be trying for #4!! But good luck to you guys!

 

Post a Comment


Thank you...

<<Home