Friday, January 28, 2005



TGIF

Yeah it is Friday! I love Fridays. It is the end of the school week, and I can look forward to two days of sleeping in. I love sleeping in! Friday night Addison always has cheerleading for the basketball team, then I come home put the kids to bed and enjoy a night with my pj's and a good DVD. Well hopefully it is a good DVD. My husband has lost hope in my DVD choosing ability. Here lies the problem. Actually let me begin by clearing stating that I do have excellent taste in movies and believe myself to be a good critic. The thing is Ben and I are movie watching freaks and we have seen every new release there is to see. On Tuesdays the new releases come out and we get them but the rest of the week we have to scrounge the older movie section for some good viewing. Before we have found the answers to all our prayers and signed up with Netflix, Ben would send me into the movie store well he waited in the car with the kids. I am always the one to go in because I care more then he does what we watch. So basically he is laid back and I am a control freak but that is besides the point. So I scan the walls for something that we have not seen, and we are left with the movies that we have not seen, or heard of. I find a movie that sounds decent and go out to the car to surprise Ben with my selection. More often then not we watch this mystery movie and it sucks beyond belief. I turn to Ben and say "I don't believe it, I thought it would be a good one for sure! I mean it won the Australian Film Festival Award for best foreign film???", New Stand Magazine said it was riveting! , Robert Ebert gave it two thumbs up in a circle with a zig zag! How was I to know?? So we have set up some ground rules on renting a movie that we have never heard the title of:
#1 If you have never heard of this movie there is probably a reason for it.
#2 If it has one any foreign awards it is probably going to suck
#3 Not really fans of the Sundance Film Festival movies
#4 If it has a whole bunch of famous people but you have never heard of the movie it is probably bad.
#5 Ben says it has to have at least one explosion, at least one fight, and frontal nudity is a bonus!
#6 Stay away from subtitles
#7 Any sequel that did not go to the big screen first is sure to be a snoozer.

Hope these help you out, and you will not make the dreaded mistakes that we have, or I should say I have in the past.

I totally did not mean to go on a movie tangent but some times my fingers go faster then my mind and I just try and keep up. I am getting excited for tomorrow. I am going to take a digital photography workshop. This will be my first step in my quest to start my own photography business. We are purchasing the home studio equipment this month and I am taking this course for a confidence booster more then anything. I have another course scheduled which will concentrate strictly on taking portraits. From there I will be read to take the plunge and make people think that I am a professional. I am not sure how to start, but I am going to take pics of all my friends kids and family then hope to spread by word of mouth from there. Ben is going to handle all the business and marketing end, and I will snap the pics. I pray that it will take off and be successful. It is a passion of mine to photograph people and more so kids, so I know it will be something I enjoy, and that is most important. Wish me luck! I hope all my blogging buddies have a great weekend!

8 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I find that the problem I have in choosing a movie with my husband is that we both like totally different movies. He like movies like 'The Last Submarine' or 'Politics in the Slow Lane', and I want to see, 'Jenny's Pajama Party' or 'Mindy makes Prom Queen'. We usually end up choosing a mediocre movie that will make us both happy and instead neither of us like it at all.

 
At 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Tannis.....
I with Linda on this one.... how do you find time to watch these movies???? We own a DVD store, get all the new releases every Tuesday and we haven't seen a movie in months!!!
And about the photography business, you will do awesome, I just have one question.... when are you coming out to Canada to practise on all your relatives??

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Alyssa said...

We have a ritual of putting the kids to bed at 8 then watching a movie before we go to bed. We do it at least 3 times a week. I took that class yesturday and my brain is on information overload. I learned a lot, I guess now I just have to practice applying it. I don't know if my confidence level went up or down though. Now I feel almost more like I do not know what I am talking about. At least I did learn what all the buttons on my camera mean. That is a start. This may be a long and well beaten road by the time I am done.

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good rules- you are definitely right about the direct-to-video sequels. Kudos on finding enough time to do what you love with your husband.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

Ya gotta love rule number 5!

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Kirk Wimberley said...

Maybe, in light of Jeff's post (re:Sideways), we should clarify that #5 is referring to that of the female variety. :)

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Elaine said...

Movies . . . well we don't usually watch em. Not that we don't like to. We used to before kids. Just don't find the time now. When we do, usually it is a G or PG rated. All R's are eliminated. Usually works. I USUALLY don't end up picking bad movies. I say USUALLY. I am pretty picky.

As for the photography - - I am soooo jealous. I would LOVE to take pictures and take a photography course. I would not do weddings though. Just family pictures and pictures of kids. I love it. Need to take a course though, especially to learn more about lighting. GOOD LUCK! Be sure to post lots of pics!

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

Yup please remember number five is onlyyy referring to the fairer sex!

 

Post a Comment


Thank you...

<<Home