Monday, January 31, 2005



It's Monday again already?

Wasn't it just Monday yesterday? Why does Monday come around faster and more often then Saturday? I to have been unmotivated to blog creatively lately so this will be another rambling of my mind and thoughts, or lack of thoughts for that matter. I do have a good blog going on in my head right now but it needs some work, so maybe in a few days. I took my all day camera class on Saturday and my head was spinning by the time I left. That was way to much information to fit into my head in a short amount of time. I did learn what the buttons on my
camera mean, so that was a plus. Now I just have to learn how to actually use them. My thoughts on that are: If it works so well in the automatic position then why bother? The first half of the workshop was about digital camera and photography, that went pretty well. However the second half was about picture editing using Adobe Photoshop CS. That is about the time my head started to spin. My computer lingo does not go far past blog and IM and I felt like I had
just come out of a cave from the dark ages. It was amazing what the program was capable of doing. It just was not capable of doing it under my capabilities. The program costs $650 US for all my Canadian readers, and my husband is trying to pirate it as we speak, but don't tell anyone. They do have a class Called into to Photoshop so if I get my grubby little hands on that software I will probably take that class, and further confuse myself. Yesterday we spent the day basking in the sun at our favorite beach with my sunscreen applied evenly, and to my eye lids as well. It was also accompanied by my favorite ice cold Corona, topped with a fresh lime. Does life get any better then that? Then we came home BBQ'd some chicken Caribbean Jerk style and ate until our belly's were content. Finished the weekend off with a movie after the kids went down, and what do you know it's Monday again!

We filled out taxes this weekend, and I am telling you it is great having three cute tax deductions I mean children living with us. That alined with the fact that we make no money make for a wonderful return!!! We made a list of everything we wanted to buy, set aside money for our romantic vacation, paid off 5 credit cards and still have some money left over. Life is great when you have money! We even made a plan to get out of debt this year, and for the first time in my life I am actually excited about it. I usually have a theory that we can just rack up all the credit cards and then hope the rapture happens before the credit card companies catch up with us. This may not be a realistic theory, but hey it worked for me thus far. However we have come to the end of our run with credit. The end meaning every card we own is maxed. So it is time to shape up or ship out! I will let you know how long this new found dept free plan lasts. I am predicting it will go very well until I see the new spring line at The Gap!

Since I seem to be the only one that watches this many movies I will try to let you know what I see and what I rate it so you can skip the not so great ones. That being said, movies watched this week are:

The Weeping Camel. This was a new release that I read and thought might be a good one to watch with the kids. DO NOT RENT THIS MOVIE. It was a documentary about a family (WHO DOES NOT SPEAK ENGLISH) takes in a camel who's mother rejected it. We saw the first 20 minutes when Addison says"mom what are they saying?" not even subtitles. So we took it out and watched Hermie the Common Catapillar instead.

First Daughter: Katie Holmes, cute in a chick flick teeny bopper sort of way. Not one to sit and watch with the hubby but definitely watchable.

Head in The Clouds: Charlize Theron, Penelape Cruz or how ever you spell her name, pretty decent movie. Civil War time, basic spoiled rich party girl meets poor fight for you country boy tied in with a ex stripper/girl lover who create an odd love triangle. The realities of the world and war pop there little bubble, and life goes on.

Friday Night Lights: great movie, true storey, your typical Texas highschool football movie!

Oh one more thing before I go, does anyone out there know the rules of fasting? Like can you drink just water or are the other things you can have? I am thinking of doing a three day fast but wasn't sure what the guide lines are, and I do not do research, so if anyone out there has any advice let me know.

That's it for now folks! Thanks for tuning in!


16 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Great - maybe you can pass on your photo skills when we come! Looking forward to that!

Good Lord - you people and these massive tax returns! Our problem is Jeff is considered "self-employed" for his second job and they don't take taxes out - hate it when that happens. Five credit cards paid off! You go girl!

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Catherine West said...

Hey - about that Weeping Camel movie...
I didn't know they had made a movie about my
life story!!! Where are my royalties????

Ahahahahha..........oh I crack myself up.

Cath

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Leanne said...

Holy Smokes - you have 5 credit cards!!! How do you keep them all straight?! We have one and that is enough trouble! We are trying to get out of debt too. It looks do-able on paper but you know how it is :) Our bathroom really put us over but I don't regret doing it...
Your photography class sounds really cool - I bet I would be overwhelmed too...but gotta start somewhere!
Lee

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

No I said we paid off 5 credit cards, we have close to ten or so....I lost count. They are all little ones. We have two high ones and they are 3500 or 4000 or something. Also no one is answering my question about fasting.

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Kirk Wimberley said...

Alyssa, I do not blame you whatsoever for this oversight, but I must clarify something for those of you who care. Friday Night Lights was a very good "movie" (if you haven't seen it yet, or are unfamiliar with the story, don't read this). The problem I have with it though, is that it depicts itself as an actual "chronicle" of the 1988 season. Well, the movie portrays the final game as the state Championship. Dallas Carter wins and you walk away thinking they won it all (the actual score was 14-9). However...in reality, that was only the state semi-final game. Dallas Carter went on to beat Converse Judson in the finals, which you never even hear mention of in the movie, and furthermore, to make it even worse...even though Dallas Carter beat Converse Judson 31-14 in the REAL state championship, Dallas Carter play with an ineligible player, so the UIL ordered Carter to forfeit their victory, making Converse Judson the state champs!! How crazy is that?! Again, the movie was a great MOVIE, but I wish they would have advertised it as a quasi-fictional entertaining ADAPTATION of the 1988 season, not a chronicle of the 1988 season. False advertisement!

I have a pirated copy of Adobe Photoshop CS that I can re-pirate for you if you want. (Just kidding internet police). Also, if you paid off 5 credit cards, then Ben can quit his job waiting tables now! :) JK! On a much more serious note, Alyssa, why do you want to fast?

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Leanne said...

oh yah - fasting...well it can be done various ways.
there is the traditional water only fast - I would only recommend this if you are doing a one day fast.
basically tho, a fast is giving up something. So you could fast by giving up just meat, or all food or all food and water (not recommended). The important part about biblical fasting is that it is accompanied by prayer and meditation on God's word.
Here's a quote I found online:
The Normal Fast: There are very few rules when it comes to fasting. What you do is really between you and the Lord. There is only one fast command in the Bible and that was the fast on the Day of Atonement. This fast was from sunset of one day to sunset of the next (Leviticus 16:29;23:32). Since, people usually don't eat during the night that makes the fast fairly easy, since you can eat again in the evening before retiring to bed. According to the Zondervan Pictorial Encyclopedia of the Bible: "The rabbis ruled that one could not eat a quantity as large as a date on this day...According to the Mishna, Yoma 8:1, on the Day of Atonement it is forbidden to eat, or drink, or bathe, or anoint oneself, or wear sandals, or to indulge in conjugal intercourse" (Zondervan Encyclopedia, vol 2, 502). Of course, this direction is not from the Bible, but perhaps we can look at that as a template for a "normal fast." So in this type of fast the person abstained from food and liquid for a period of one day (from sunset to sunset). This is a normal fast.

The Partial Fast: In this type of fast, the emphasis is placed on restriction of diet, rather than abstaining completely from eating. Examples are: Daniel, Shadrack, Meshach and Abednego eating only vegetables and drinking only water (Daniel 1:15) and later on when Daniel alone practiced a limited diet for three weeks (Daniel 10:3). Some people would argue that this isn't really a fast at all, but Daniel 10:3 does use the word "mourned" which is a Biblical occasion for fasting (see below) and a common synonym for fasting.

The Radical Fast: This type of fast is one in which the person refrains from both food and water OR simply food (but not water) for an extended period of time. A radical fast can be harmful to your health and in most cases should not exceed three days. An example of a radical fast can be found with Esther and her household. Esther decided to fast for three days abstaining from both "food and water" both "day and night" (Esther 4:15-16). The rabbi Ezra and the apostle Paul also went without food and water for three days (Ezra 10:6-9; Acts 9:9). David is another example of a radical fast. He went seven days without food (but probably with liquid) as a plea to God to save the life of his child (2 Samuel 12:15-20). Fasts that extend beyond three or seven days can be found in the Bible, but these exceptions were based upon direct guidance from God or a supernatural ability given by God to complete the fast. Examples of these extreme fasts are: Moses (Deuteronomy 9:9-18 and Exodus 34:28); Elijah (1 Kings 19:8); and Jesus (Matthew 4:1-11).
I know that's really long...I haven't previewed this site a lot but here is the link:
http://www.new-life.net/fasting.htm

Hope that helps!
Lee

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Leanne said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

A party girl, country boy and stripper? I've seen that..wait no it wasn't called what yours was... Good luck with the fasting, the grease free diet is as radical as I'm getting.

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger Kirk Wimberley said...

Wait a sec...do you fast for spiritual reasons or body-system-cleansing (I can do without thinking about that - :-o ) reasons? My vote is for a strict diet of deep fried foods ONLY!! Speaking of DIET...I have been nearly flawless in converting to Diet Dr. Pepper! In the last 10 days I have only had 1 regular coke. However...I weighed myself today, and I have gained 1-2 pounds?! I think I will go back to regular!!

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger Kirk Wimberley said...

Oh yeah...and regarding the credit card issue...if you still have 5+ small cards, you need to transfer, consolidate, and CLOSE the zero balance department store cards (and others not being used). It will do wonders to your credit score! But you may already know this.

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I don't know how I missed this post yesterday. I checked a few times. Argh!

I have Photoshop, we bought it on ebay about three years ago. I was able to register it with Adobe and everything. Then I read about 4 books on it and now I am a Photoshop expert. I love it. It is great for web sites. I have Illustrator which is better for web sites, and I bought a book on how to use it, but I have never read the book yet and so I can't use it.

Have fun with your photography, Photoshop will be great for you.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Kirk - you're not going to lose weight drinking Diet Dr Pepper if you still have two bags of chips with queso every night! :) J/K

Alyssa - when are you going to fast? I may do it too! For spiritual and body cleansing - KIRK!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Kirk Wimberley said...

WHAT?! Hey Jeff, will you fast with me? I was thinking of starting a routine where I fast in between all of my meals and snacks. Can I count on you for accountability?

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Alyssa said...

To answer Kirks question I was thinking about fasting for both spiritual and body cleansing, and if I lost a few pounds while I was at it that would just be a bonus. I actually started yesturday and had made it 24 hours when Ben pointed out that there is a good chance I may be pregnant and that it might not be a good idea, so I agreed and popped open a bag of salt and vinigar chips. However If I am not pregnant I plan on doing it again as soon as I find out....in a couple weeks. So I will let you know in case any of you want to jump on the band wagon. Kirk I do not think your version counts!

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Lynne said...

You should set up an online tutoring on the Digital training info that you've just learned so we can all benefit from it. How about that "teach"??

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

Kirk - I my friend am fasting as we speak. I will stop fasting for exactly 15 minutes later today and then fast again until tomorrow a.m! No one try to stop me!

 

Post a Comment


Thank you...

<<Home