Tuesday, May 17, 2005



A Tooth Fairy Mishap!

Yesterday Addison was bound and determined to get out her loose tooth before bed so she could get a visit from the tooth fairy. She wiggled and jiggled and finally begged me to pull it out before bed because she did not want to wait one more day. So I layed her out on the couch and removed her second cute little baby tooth. She did a dance for joy, showed everyone in the house, looked at herself in the mirror and practiced sticking her tongue through the space in her
front teeth, and then put it in a little purse under her pillow. So 10:30 comes around and I was all caught up in the drama of my Alyssa pity party that I went strait to sleep and forgot all about my Tooth Fairy duties that evening. So three o'clock in the morning I wake up from a nightmare. I had a dream that we forgot to put money under Addison's pillow and she woke up and was so upset. I wake up and realize my dream was about to come true. So I shake Ben awake and tell him we have to get a dollar under her pillow and quick. AKA WHERE IS YOUR WALLET! He said he did not have a dollar, he only had a 5. We gave her $5 for her first tooth but told her the first and last are worth the most. So as I concentrated on the dilemma at hand I started to crunch the numbers. If we give her the $5 we will be setting the bar high for the rest of her teeth. I added it up and by the time she loses all her teeth they would cost us $100. Then we would have to follow suit with the next 3 kids and that brings us to a grand total of $400 in teeth, and we haven't even mentioned braces yet. So I scratch my head thinking where I can find a dollar bill. That did not work so I scratched my rear and it came to me. I had stuffed some dollars into my vase on my dresser. So I fumble around in the dark for the light, remove my fake yellow flowers from my vase and retrieve a dollar bill. Sure we have quarters laying around and 4 quarters equal a dollar but to a kid a paper dollar is worth so much more. So I fetch the purse from under the pillow and exchange the tooth for a dollar, put the tooth in my little hiding place and crawl back into bed. Then I could not fall asleep so I wrote this blog in my head. Next thing you know it is 6:3am and Addison is running into our room showing off her dollar "just like the one from National Treasure!" Tooth Fairy saved the day! One quick question before I sign off. What do you do with your kids teeth? Chuck them? Save them? Do I really want to have a box of 80 baby teeth sitting on my night stand? Just curious!

9 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Blogger Colleen Salter said...

I'm not a parent yet but it sounds like a child thought of the whole idea to get more money out of their parents. Just kidding. Although it is tempting to not introduce the tooth fairy into the family but I guess we'll see what happens when that day comes. As for the extra teeth, not sure but I am curious to find out. My guess would be to toss them. Or maybe to keep one for a scrapbook and get rid of the rest. Good luck with that.

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Kirk Wimberley said...

I think you should keep the teeth...that way at least you'll have SOMETHING to show for your $400! HA!

 
At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll probably be one of those parents who keep all of the teeth, but then lose them and find them way after any of the kids will care about them!

Vanessa

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

Kelly is gone shopping today so I'll haver to ask when she gets back but... keeping teeth seems to be a lil creepy. Kinda like the lady who has 40 cats not weird just creepy.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Catherine West said...

I agree, keeping the teeth is gross.
I have thrown them all out. Mind you most of
my son's teeth just about fell apart in your hand
anyway....he has issues with dental hygeine.
Glad you are blogging again and hope the nausea goes away soooooon!!!

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

BANG! OUCH! That hurt! I fell off my chair....Vanessa actually left a coment! Well I'll be a monkey's uncle!

 
At 2:22 AM, Blogger Lynne said...

I think you should keep the teeth until the time when you're daughter asks to see them and then tell her she can do with them what she'd like. I think holding little baby teeth is somewhat gross but mostly adorable. You could get some clay or playdough and shape it like gums and put the teeth into the spots where one was lost. Now, does that sound wierd? You being a dental hygenist, would you be totally into this????

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I agree with Catherine, I'd chuck them out, and now I am curious if we agree because we have grown up kids. I saved the teeth of the first one and then the youngest took hold of the tooth box one day and scattered them around the house. By that time, I didn't care less anymore and chucked them out. I think when they are little you want to save everything, but as they grow, you begin to toss things out that don't seem so sentimental anymore.

Anyway, I loved the part about scratching your butt ~ very funny! I haven't blogged for a while and so I apologize I didn't read this sooner.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Elaine said...

Well . . . I have a similar story . . .except that the tooth fairy did in fact forget . . . completely. My then 7 or 8 year old proceeded to tell me in the morning that the tooth fairy forgot! (they knew at this point who the toothfairy was!) I proceeded to tell him to quick . . . go to bed . . . and pretend to be sleeping. He quickly complied and even started snoring. I quickly notified the toothfairy of the sleeping child and the transaction continued as normal . . .well sort of. . . . He then woke up exlaiming "Look the toothfairy came . . . and left me $1 ! !" and we both smiled. . . and well actually I laughed. . . . Very cute.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you...

<<Home