Friday, April 29, 2005



Sour Milk Anyone?

Being pregnant and not being able to do anything but sit on the couch and let my mind wander is starting to bring back all the ups and downs of pregnancy and child rearing. This morning I stopped to ponder the whole beast feeding phenomenon. Some women just love breast feeding and think it is the ultimate bonding experience with your baby. Blah blah blah, what ever! When I think of breast feeding I think of the sore cracked nipples, the painful engorgement, the two wet spots on the front of your shirt because you can't stop leaking, the occasional bout with mastitis (accompanied by fever and chills), and the hours spent milking yourself like a cow with the breast pump. Speaking of breastpump, that reminds me of a funny little story......So Ben and I are proud new parents in our first apartment in Texas trying to adjust to life with a baby. We came to an agreement that I would get up to breast feed in the night through the week but on weekends I would have pumped milk in the freezer and he would get up for the 4am feedings. So I spent many many hours with my boob stuck in that vacuum machine squeezing out every last drop of milk. This was a job I took very seriously and any time I could squeeze out an extra bag I would. So I think I had my bag of milk count somewhere in the 30's when we decided we were going to go spend some time at his parents house. Well my wonderful brilliant achem, cough cough CHEAP, husband decided it would be a brilliant idea to save some bucks on our electric bill and shut the power off in the apartment while we were gone. So after some nice time away we get back to a hot apartment with no air conditioning, and go to the fridge for a cold drink when....Wait a minute.....Wait a minute....There is no power on in the fridge either.....Which means....Which must mean......OH NO!!!!! I whip open the freezer door to discover the most devastating thing ever! There wilted in the hot ice box lay 30 plus bags of sour breastmilk:( Hours at the pump go flashing through my head like a bad dream. Of course we had also just stocked up at Sam's club and had some great unfrozen steaks staring back at me. So in my cheap husbands attempt to save a few bucks we wasted $200 worth of new groceries, and my 30 plus bags of gold. I mean you don't understand, breast milk is priceless. I mean yes I could go to Sam's and get more steak but I could not go to Sam's and say "Give me 30 bags of your best breastmilk!" So back I went to that dreaded pump for some more boob squishing as I glared at my wonderfully cheap husband! See I am hardly even bitter about that anymore honey!

13 Comments:

At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man I thought stocking up meant 2 bottles of breast milk ready to go but 30 + I think you should be calling them SUPER BOOBS Love the new look on your blog its nice to see your humour making a comeback love it love it

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Colleen Salter said...

I love the new look too. funny blog, why is it that men seem to think that they have these brillant ideas? Oh well, I guess they learn.

Linda should start a blog too I think!!

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

Hubby's always seem to have bright ideas.. some of them even are. :)

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

I agree - breastfeeding sucks (no pun intended!). I don't gather much enjoyment out of it and only do it b/c it's good for the baby and cheap!

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger Lynne said...

Oh man, I completely understand about losing all that breast milk. I pumped each and every morning with Evan on one breast and the pump on the other. I could get 6-8 ounzes the early morning feeding and Evan would have plenty from the other breast. I could only do that once a day. No wonder my boobs are lobsided. (sorry for the mental picture) I'd get upset even if one bag was left on the counter too long! Man, I would be furious if my work would all be wasted. The thought of doing that again scares the living kadoodles out of me but it is such a fleeting time and it's gone before you know it. Congratulations on your pregnancy again. My question is: "Will 4 be enough for you guys?" Hey, I always think that more babies should be born to great parents instead of bad ones, so the more the merrier.

I only have two right now and the thought of 3 scares me. Isn't it tricky and hard?

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Alyssa said...

No we are stopping at 4. 4 has always been the number I said would make me complete. The hardest transition is from one to two and after that you hardly notice that there is another baby in the house. You move from one on one to zone defence and once you get that down you are good to go!

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

I've often thought about marketing my milk on eBay, but I just couldn't stand pumping for that long, so I gave up!!!! Feel free to steal the idea and use the proceeds to buy more clothes!

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

I notice I'm the only guy that has blogged on this wonderfully visually stimulating blog. Not much to say - have no idea of pumping breast milk and havent turned all the power off in my house lately. I'm curious as to how ya'll thought turning the power off would not effect the refrigerator. Woops sorry Ben

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

And Ben lived to father another child?!

I remember laying in bed with a terri cloth towel under me, night after night, because I leaked enough to feed the whole Walton family. Breast pads don't work when you're trying to control Niagra falls.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

SERIOUSLY!! I'm getting tired of seeing SOUR MILK everytime I click on your blog - post something new!!

 
At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second that....

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Colleen Salter said...

Please post something new. My days at work are long enough. I need something to keep me going. So I am the third and unanimous vote.

 
At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just happened to stumble on your site...LOL I love it! I'm a mom of 2 in Raleigh, NC. :-) Feel your pain!

 

Post a Comment


Thank you...

<<Home