Wednesday, December 01, 2004



Can you keep a secret?

I cannot keep a secret to save my life! Well I can keep a real important secret, if someone tells me this absolutely cannot get it you have to keep this secret. It will still eat me up in side and I will want to tell someone.....Anyone. I have even had to tell a secret so bad that I would call a totally unknowing third party and tell them, because that's alright since they do not even know who I am talking about right? I love knowing a secret, but keeping a secret is almost impossible, especially when it is good news! I want to shout it from the roof tops! I am pretty sure that the bible would call this gossip....But in my head I have twisted it into something else, perhaps a prayer request. I can't even keep my own secrets! For example every year my husband and I take turns planning our anniversary and this year is my turn. Our anniversary is in December, but we are celebrating in Febuary this year due to child care arrangements. So while my husband was deployed all summer I thought that it would be the perfect time to plan it all out b/c I could hide all the evidence and have it all done before he returned home. I mean surely I can keep a secret from him if he is in a different country. So it was all finalized and paid for and all I had to do was keep my mouth shut until Febuary and reveal the big surprise. What did I do instead? Well everytime I talked to Ben I said " hey I just got our anniversary all planned out, do you want me to tell you what I am doing?" "How about a hint?" Ok so this went on for most of the summer, but him being better at this then I refused to let me tell him. So after awhile I kind of forget about it and think "hey I can do this" Well then my mother comes to visit and I had told her all about my plans, but I guess I forgot to tell her that it was a secret and that Ben does not know anything. Well casually over coffee when I was not in the room mom asks Ben what Island we are going to for our anniversary. Ben's ears perk up "ISLAND??"
Ok ok I can handle this, did a little damage control, told my mom it is ok because Ben already knew that we were out of airmiles and probably assumed we were going to another Island. So anyway a few weeks later we had friends visiting from Texas and we were all sitting around the breakfast table and our friends ask us "Are you guys going to be going to any other islands soon?" I reply "Oh yes we are going to Kauai in Febuary!" OPEN MOUTH INSERT FOOT! Ben was of course sitting right there and pretends he did not hear but we all know he did. So the cat was out of the bag, but I tried to defend myself by saying, "yeah well you do not know where we are staying on the island!" So there you have it folks, I have let out yet another secret. By the time we leave in Febuary I am sure he will know what hotel we are at, what color it is, the exact number of steps from the hotel to the beach, and any other information I have to divulge. So anyone out there in blog-ville who has a secret but really deep down they want others to know, then tell me and I will get the word out for you!

1 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Blogger Leanne said...

wow...it makes me want to make up a secret just to see how long it takes to make the rounds!
I just love to keep secrets...it's probably not even healthy - I tease the kids like crazy about it too.."I bought you something" "what?" "can't tell...it's a secret present..." The other day Dora came up to me out of the blue and says (in her extra stern voice) "you tell me what you bought me Christmas" and then when I laughed and said no she cried...mean old mom...
Maybe there's a middle ground we could find...!
Lee

 

Post a Comment


Thank you...

<<Home