Saturday, March 10, 2007



Hapennings in Turnerville!

So much going on in Turnerville right now that I do not know where to start. I guess I will start with the biggest most important stuff. I did not want to say anything until it was 100% official. As of Septenber 29th, 2007 we will be done with the militery once and for all. Let me back up a little and give you all the details. We were getting near the end of our time in Hawaii and milling over our next move.Where we could get stationed next, and how to avoid deployments at all cost. We came acoss a special duty assignment in Germany. It was a teaching job that ws non-deployable for 4 years. I was just startiing to wrap my head around the idea and starting to get excited about living abroad for a few years when Ben calls me and puts a whole new spin on our lives. I was backing in the hawiian sun by the pool when he called and told me the news. Apparently his career feild and many others are over-manned and they need 3000 people to volunteer to resign from the Air Force NO STRINGS ATTACHED. We have been looking for ways to get out of the AF ever since we got in but when it actually fell in my lap this wave of fear came over me. I know I complain about militery life all the time, but really I have to admit they have been very good to us and w would not be where we are today if we did not have it. We are just coming up on our ten year mark. However with another deployment looming over us in September I remembered the bottom line most important thing and that is having our family togeather. It kills me to think of all the kids that go without their mommy and daddy's for months sometimes years at a time, and when it comes right down to it, it just isn't worth it! So after nuch, praying, and talking, and all the what if's we decided that militery life is just not for us and we applied to ge out. Well last week we found out we have been aproved and our date of seperation is Sept 29th. Now come even more big decisions. We go back and forth all the time trying decide what we want to do next and where we want to go from here. Part of me wants to stay here, because I love Hawaii and the weather could not be more perfect. I have beachs when ever I want and am surrounded in beauty every day. Ben has been offered two jobs here, so Hawaii would be a real possiblilty. However the down sides are, the school systems are TERRIBLE! The kids would have to be homeschool, or sent to private school, and at 10 000 a year per kid for 4 kids that is not really an option. Also I love our house here but a family of 6 living in 1200 feet is starting to get a little cramped, and poor Londyn can't sleep inour closet forever. However the option of upgrading to a bigger house is not really an option either because well I do not have a 3/4 mill sitting in my back pocket. So we started looking at different states on the mainland. There are some great states out there but we keep coming back to Texas. It ertainly isn't my favorite state but ther are a few reasons we love it. For one you can get your best bang for your buck in Texas. For what we payed for our 12oosqft in Hawaii we could own a mansion in Texas. No kidding, like a mansion. Also since Ben's parents live near by (but not too near by) we will have family available to help us out. The kids will get to actually know their family and we will be able to go to Canada more often (at least once a year) so we will spend more time with them as well. If we went to any other state we would have to divide ourselves between our two families on holidays, and have no holiday time left for our own family vacations. So this way we will see ben's parents on a pretty regular basis but will be able to spend holidays with mine. The weather is wwhat I am looking forward to the least but I have found an amazing development that I have fallen in love with. I think the kids will love and and our family will have a blast here. www.savannahdfw.com
I never really wanted to live in Dallas because it is sooo big, and Austin has always been our first choice, but the housing is quite a bity cheaper in Dallas, and like I said I have fallen in love with this develpoment and cannot imagine living anywhere else. I wish it were in Austin though. So I guess we have 6 months to figure things out and make a final decision. Ben plans to get out and his time in the Af gives him a Master Electrition level on the outside. He wants to learn the ins and outs for a few years then get his contracting licence and either start his own compan or buy into an existing one. I know he will be successfull at what ever he does because he is intellegent, dependable, has a strong work ethic, and drive. So if anyone has any comments or advice then keep it to yourslef! Just kidding I would love to hear what people have to say.

Next subject, and this is a touchy one for some. So remember that cute little puppy we posted a few months back? Our new dg Saddie? The one that was going to grow old with us and yadda yadda. Well Saddie and the Turner's have parted ways. Before you guys get in an uproar about how I go through dogs let me explain. You see when I bought Saddi (for $500) I was told he was a Pomeranian/Palpion mix. Both of those are small, long haired cute dogs. Well like I said Saddie ended up being a little larger then I wanted with short short hair (whcih I hate) and very hyper. So if I was going to grow old with a dog (and I am) then I at least wanted it to be the dog I really wanted to grow old with. I mean really this is not my fault. You don't just marry the first guy that comes along sight unseen, before you even get to know their personallity right? So I consider it like dating the dogs or more like rent-a-dog. I aid $500 for Saddie and had her for 5 months so I rented her for $100 a month. So anyway one day my friend comes over and falls in love with Saddie. I mean if that dog could get someone to love her then who was I to stand in her way. She begged me to take th dog home, and after twisting my arm for hours I finaly gave in. I told the kids we would get a new dog once we got moved and settle somewhere. Well little Addison was online for hours a day looking for dogs and researching. It was not long before I was joining her and skimming the paper every day. Which brought us to our newest member! Everybody meet Winston Turner!



W got her from a breeder and he comes from a long line of show dogs. He meets all the right measruements and requirments for showing however in a show he wags his tail when spoken to instead of keeping it completely still and up on his back. SO he was unable to show and the lady could not use him. We just wanted a pet and wagging his tail was not a bad thing for us, so we snatched him up right away. He is so completely cute! He is 6 months, 4 pounds 1 oz, and is paper trained already, which as you know is great for me! She is very mild mannered for a polmeranian. just follows you around, does not bark, does not jump up, pr bite, or chew thigns. I love this dog. For real. No I am serious this time. I payed big money for this little ball of fur and he is going to stick with us till the end. I promise I will never put up a free to good home sign with his pictur on it in the grocery store!

I have only a couple minutes before I have to leave for a photoshoot so I am going to end here but will finish up tonight with some pictures from out trip to the Big Island! We went for a week!

14 Comments:

At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alyssa,
I take it you liked Savannah? I told you that you would:)

Amy

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Pink Sun Drops said...

That looks amazing! And you're right - it is less expensive than Austin. Darn desired areas!! Seriously all those commodities are amazing!!

SO HAPPY for you that you're going to be able to get out of the military and be near family. That's amazing and working out so well it seems.

The new puppy is adorable! You crack me up. Just make sure and continue to train him how you want him to be. It sounds like he's a sweetie.

 
At 5:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It fell into your laps for a reason Congrats to you all it will be nice to see you guys more often You must be just buzzing with excitment about the New Path your all about to take.

PS Are you taking company reservations yet for your last summer in Hawaii.

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger L said...

Wow, so much going on with your family! I'm glad that so far everything seems to be falling into place - what a blessing! That Savannah neighborhood looks awesome. I've never seen anything like it before. And your new puppy is adorable and he sounds like a keeper :)

 
At 2:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you do not keep this dog you shouold never get a dog again. That is cruel to get a dog accustomed to a home and then get rid of it because you cannot properly train it.

 
At 4:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is also cruel that an idiot such as yourself is allowed to make such stupid and uninformed post.

 
At 5:28 AM, Blogger my life is brilliant said...

Wow, anonymous people suck. It's amazing what people will say when they have a paper bag over their heads.

Your new dog is really cute, and it sounds like the swap worked well for everyone. I think it's great you gave your dog a wonderful home before you got a new one. I think it's good your new dog is already trained. I'm sure it's hard to have to train a puppy when you have small children to take care of too. Don't feel bad for what you did. If that poster felt so strongly that you were in the wrong, he or she would have signed a name.

That Savannah development looks awesome! What's funny is I've totally driven by it before. It's in a great area, and it's just as pretty in person.

 
At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is now dog # ???

Thank goodness this one is trained....it actually has a chance.

 
At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Glad to hear your moving closer to Canada!! It will be nice for our kids to get to know each other! Tannis and I were talking about coming out to visit you guy before you move, too bad the twins aren't a little older cause I would be there in a second! Wow your kids are getting so big!

Congrats on the new dog! She's a cutie. It is true you have to find the right dog for you.

Love your cuz Tara

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even if your husband worked 20+ years in the AF doing electrical work for 10 hours a day 5 days a week for the whole 20 years, TX is only going to allow him 2000 hours towards his lisencing when he seperates this Fall. fyi

Troy B.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sad I won't be reading about your Hawaiin adventures and seeing your amazing pictures, but I'm so excited for your move! yippee! and spit on anonymous, your dog swap worked AWESOME and your new puppy is a darling!! and I LOVE Your posts, you are so cute and fun.

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Mrs. Architect said...

DALLAS????????? YIPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snob!!! And don't pull the jealous card.

Kate
New Jersey

 
At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that Savannah neighborhood too! Fell in love with it the first time I drove past it, but couldn't convince my husband to live there, sigh! The good thing is that you won't be too far from some really, really great shopping!!!!

Because Dallas is the shopping mecca!

Glad to "meet" another Canadian married to a Texan! And your kids are GORGEOUS by the way!

 

Post a Comment


Thank you...

<<Home