Tuesday, November 29, 2005



The moment you have all been waiting for...

Ok I finally have a few moments to blog about my birth experience. Now boys it is the time to reach for that mouse and escape this page as fast as you can! However there is nothing better then a good birth storey and once you have one and you get around a bunch of there women who have one then dilating, epidurals, boobs, and poop seems to be all we can talk about. I guess it is almost like a war storey for you guys, it is a fight and conquer thing for us, and I have the scars to prove it! So it all started on turkey Day! My DR was on call and told me to pop in and we would see where I was sitting dilation wise, but would not induce unless I was at least a 4 and showing some consistent contractions. So I called that morning and they told me not to come yet because there were no rooms available and to call back after lunch. Sounds good to me! That means I could stuff myself on a delicious Thanksgiving feast first. That is exactly what I did. I ate 3 times as much as any man at the gathering and then went for dessert. Not once, not twice, but three times! I was so full I could hardly walk and between the turkey and the baby, something had to budge because I did not have room for both! I thought the baby would be cuter in the bassinet then regurgitated turkey so we headed to the hospital.
When we got there, the Dr checked me strait away and I was still sitting at a three. She was able to stretch me to a 4 (I will save you and not go into detail on how she did that). Then she told me that it should get things moving, and to go walk around the hospital for a couple hours and we would check again. So off we went to explore every floor of that huge hospital. I ran up and down stairs and was having contractions every 1-2 minutes. However, after an hour, the contractions totally stopped and I began to give up any hope of being admitted and having a baby. So after 2 hours and some really tired legs we headed back up to labor and delivery to see the dr. Once again, they hooked me up to the machine to monitor my contractions. I knew I needed to be showing constant contractions on the machine in order to be admitted, and I also knew that nipple stimulation caused contractions. So when no one was looking I started to feel myself up like a school boy in the back seat of a drive in movie, and sure enough the machine started peeking one after another. Ben stood on the lookout for anyone who might walk into my room and soon he gave me the signal to cut because the Dr was heading our way. She checked the monitor and then me and woo hoo I was at a 5. She asked me what I thought about having this baby tonight, and after a couple high fives we headed to the labor room! They gave my IV, which is the scariest part of labor to me. Then they gave me my epidural, which is the best part of labor for me. Soon after that, they broke my water and we were on the home stretch. Now I have always joked that since my last baby weighed nine pounds and I had an easy delivery that if I ever had a six-pound baby I could probably just fart it out. Well Londyn made me eat my words because she was my longest and hardest labor ever. It was 5 hours and my epidural only took on one side of my body. One leg was so numb I could not even wiggle my piggies and the other I could dance a jig on. The contractions were absolutely unbearable and after screaming, crying, and cursing Adam and Eve, I told Ben that I changed my mind and was not going to be able to do this. Unfortunately, it was too late to turn back and before I knew it, it was time to push. Three pushes later she popped into my world and I instantly forgot all the pain as I gazed at her gorgeous perfect little face. At 6 pounds 12 ounces, I could not get over how tiny she was. My smallest thus far had been 8lbs 11oz so this was such a treat for me. I did not tear or cut and did not need one single stitch, which makes for a much quicker recovery. (No Ben we still have to wait 6 weeks to have sex!) At least I will keep telling him that.
So we have been home for 4 days now and I never thought I could be this lucky 4 times but she is such a good baby, and last night she only woke up one time all night long. This makes me part of a very small club of well rested mother of a newborn who gets 9 hours of sleep a night! I do not know if Ben and I just have super DNA or what but all of our babies have been super easy, and super cute! We are so excited that she is finally here, and feel so blessed to have our complete family!

5 Comments:

At 4:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

oh, thank you SO much for sharing your birth story! I LOVED it! I am so terrified about the birthing experience but reading about them makes me feel a bit better. I'm so happy you were able to get some rest too. Keep on telling us all you can about her- I'm studying up for mine in April!

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Colleen Salter said...

Thanks too for posting that. It's nice to hear the real thing when it comes to labour. Too bad though that the epidural didn't take on one side but I'm glad that everything else went well and you have your wonderful daughter. I hope that I can pull it off as easily as you did and that there are no complications.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Mrs. Architect said...

Girl, you CRACK ME UP!! Man, you are a hoot! Thanks so much for sharing. You can't ever give too much info for me! I love reading all about it.

Okay, I have never heard about the nipple stimulation! haha That part had me laughing out loud!!

Yall are definitley blessed parents and have one GORGEOUS family! I just love looking at pics of your kids because they are so cute it actually makes me think about considering having them one day. :-)

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You're right. We women totally love a good birth story! I sighed and settled right in, when I saw the topic of this post. LOL
Thanks for sharing

 
At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow. You are amazing girl. You and three kids and another birth story, that makes my head spin and you seem to handle it with ease. That's hilarious how you kept your contractions going, though I know that's the case I would've never thought of it to keep them going!

 

Post a Comment


Thank you...

<<Home